latheesan

New server setup problem

Question

Hi. I have been away from ragnarok online for a very long time and decided to pick it up again and use Hercules emulator.

Today I git cloned the main repo and I was able to successfully compile the project in VS2012 (release mode).

Everything that has been changed on the server were put in the import dir, here are my changes:

Nothing else on the emulator was editted or updated.

Having set the server up, I patched a new client using 2013-08-14aRagexe.exe using NEMO xDiff Patcher:

Then I created my server.grf using the following:

Then I created a Full Client using the following:

And then updated the DATA.INI with the following:

[Data]
0=server.grf
1=rdata.grf
2=data.grf

Now that server & client side setup was completed, I launched the server and the client and I logged in.

It prompted me to setup the pin code, so I did (all worked fine).

Now I created my char - here I saw one bug (my char name was not displayed after creation). I proceeded anyway.

It said please wait... for a while and then I got disconnected:

bPMFk66.png

I saw the following on the char server:

vjKEhXo.png

I thought it might've been a first login error or something, so I closed the client and tried to login again and select my char. This time, I got a different error:

7BwVLgU.png

Any idea what might be wrong? Sorry, I've been away for so long, things might've changed with the emu. Have I forgot to edit/change something in the emu or is my client not patched correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

23 answers to this question

@@latheesan

Your client and server packet might not match.

When you compiled the server did you change the packet to match your client?

the file you have to edit is called "mmo.h" under "trunk/src/common/"

#ifndef PACKETVER	#define PACKETVER 20141022 <--- CHANGE THIS TO 20130814 TO MATCH YOUR CLIENT#endif // PACKETVER

after that try recompiling and run the new server files and see what happens.

@@aznguy212 and @@Winterfox

Okay, maybe I spoke too soon perhaps. I have one more client side bug.

When I logged in, I was dropped into the map: new_1-1 (as per config).

So, I used the @go 0 command the client crashed immediately.
When I re-login (I assume I am being taken to prontera) the client is crashing immediately (I get no alert window with why it crashed).

Maybe I should try slightly newer client from here: http://k3dt.eu/Ragexe/unpacked? perhaps 2014-02-12aRagexe.exe? or is there even newer that I can use that is known to be stable?

Any ideas? Thanks again.

Edited by latheesan

@@latheesan

Did you get any server side error message?

You could also experiment with removing all diff options besides the recommended ones.

It might be possible that one of the options doesn't work with your client properly.

If you want to go for a newer client the 2014-04-16 seems to be one of the latest stable ones.

Edited by Winterfox

@@Winterfox

The file name is 2014-10-22bRagexePatched - does this mean it's already patched & I can't use NEMO patcher on it or will it still let me patch it with my own options?

@@aznguy212

Thanks for this, I had no idea prontera was updated, I will try that as a last resort (fall back to the old 2013 client).

@@Winterfox

I am afraid I am not able to use that client, when I patch it, AVAST AntiVirus is immediately picking that up as a virus:

4BTvCov.png

When I scan the orignal file, no virus is reported, the issue only occurs post patching :(

Edited by latheesan

@@Winterfox

I can add the file name to the Virus Vault Exclusion List globally - that's no problem.

But, what's strange is that, this warning does not occur when I do the patching on other client verions (ony this version).

My worry is that, if I add it to the exclusion list and then release it, won't it throw the same warning to my players (whom might be using avast)? Should they then also add it to the exlcusion list :

@@aznguy212

Looks like your solution worked. Using client 2013-08-14aRagexe.exe and newprontera.grf
I am able to login to game and client no longer crashes at the prontera.

However, I noticed two issues:

• Cash Shop total does not appear to be working (says %s) - is this a known bug? server side or client related?
  • The inventory section is huge - any ideas?

y10FQ0b.png

@@latheesan

You have a talent to get errors i have never seen before.  :P

If i where in your place, i would file in a bug report about that cash shop thing, it could be an issue with some packets.

The inventory size is determined by the words for the section determined in msgstringtable.txt, it seems that it helps to put it in the grf that gets loaded first.

@@Winterfox

Lol. I don't think I have permission to open a bug report. Maybe you will have to.

About the inventory size, I meant that the number of rows being shown is too many. Is that controlled by msgstringtable.txt? strange.

@@latheesan

I have as much permission as you do. You just need a github account.

If you have one you can report bugs here: https://github.com/HerculesWS/Hercules/issues/new

And yes it is controlled by msgstringtable.txt since you define the names of the labels of the inventory tabs there,

which are they reason to spread the window based on how long the words are.

@@Winterfox

I have now reported it: https://github.com/HerculesWS/Hercules/issues/618

I will take a look at msgstringtable.txt when I am home and see if I can change it.

You are using wrong msgstringtable..

use https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ROClientSide/Translation/master/data/MsgString/2013-08-07Ragexe_msgstringtable.txt

and rename it to msgstringtable.txt ...

@@Dastgir Thanks, I will try this version.

At the moment, my clientinfo.xml has the following (came with the english data dir v4):

<version>46</version>

Is this correct for the 2013-08-14aRagexe.exe? If not, how do you know which version to use?

Update: Using the correct msgstringtable.txt has solved both of my issues (Inventory window as well as cash shop):

BPBrQUf.png

Thanks again Dastgir.

Edited by latheesan

At the moment, my clientinfo.xml has the following (came with the english data dir v4):

<version>46</version>

Is this correct for the 2013-08-14aRagexe.exe? If not, how do you know which version to use?

<version>46</version>

Hercules don't depend on that , i.e you can put any version.