Sign in to follow this  
Lergen

Completely replace job sprite?

Question

Pardon if this is the wrong section, it's a bit of a broad question.

Is it possible to completely replace a job sprite with something else? For example, if I wanted to replace the novice so instead it's a poring or an NPC, how would you go about it? I've seen a few threads on replacing the outfits of jobs, but nothing about whether or not you can actually completely replace the job's sprite with something else. If anybody has any suggestions or an idea of where to start with something like this, or if it's even actually possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Of course you can just replace the sprite in the .grf you are using. This will make the client show the new sprite (which can be anything) for the selected job.

Might look weird in some scenarios since player sprites are of course the most detailed in regards to movement and animation indexes.

But if its as simple as that, for example using a poring.spr/.act, just add it to your server grf and name it the same as for example the swordsman spr/act and follow the folder structure. Your client (if data.ini is setup properly) will read your server grf first, notice that Swordman has a poring sprite and load that, instead of the normal sprite.

3 hours ago, Lergen said:

Is it possible to completely replace a job sprite with something else? For example, if I wanted to replace the novice so instead it's a poring or an NPC, how would you go about it? I've seen a few threads on replacing the outfits of jobs, but nothing about whether or not you can actually completely replace the job's sprite with something else. If anybody has any suggestions or an idea of where to start with something like this, or if it's even actually possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

1. Copy the monster.spr and monster.act you want.

2. Rename the monster.spr and monster.act that same with the job that you want to replace

3. replace the original spr and act file of the job you want to replace

Thanks for your help, guys! I got it working, but there's a minor issue - both the player's head, and weapon sprites still appear. Is it possible to hide them? I'm assuming scripts are likely the only practical way but I'm unfamiliar with how they work in Hercules, or if such a thing is actually possible.

39 minutes ago, Lergen said:

Thanks for your help, guys! I got it working, but there's a minor issue - both the player's head, and weapon sprites still appear. Is it possible to hide them? I'm assuming scripts are likely the only practical way but I'm unfamiliar with how they work in Hercules, or if such a thing is actually possible.

Make an invisible/blank spr, actually its a little bit time consuming because you need to replace them all

On 2/27/2021 at 6:55 PM, Lergen said:

Hi
You may face some mistakes by switching a class's sprite to a monster's sprite.
In a class sprite there are positions that a monster does not have, sitting position for example, 2 or 3 types of attacks, etc ...
So, maybe you face some mistakes in that sense.
A monster has 4 layouts if I'm not mistaken, a class already has between 8 or 9 ... I don't remember for sure.
So it is necessary to pay attention to that

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking about all the functions that a class sprite has
oh, there is the option for you to use the disguise command, isn't it interesting for you?
you can turn the player into the monster you want

perhaps it is a good option for your goal.

20 minutes ago, Tio Akima said:

Hi
You may face some mistakes by switching a class's sprite to a monster's sprite.
In a class sprite there are positions that a monster does not have, sitting position for example, 2 or 3 types of attacks, etc ...
So, maybe you face some mistakes in that sense.
A monster has 4 layouts if I'm not mistaken, a class already has between 8 or 9 ... I don't remember for sure.
So it is necessary to pay attention to that

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking about all the functions that a class sprite has
oh, there is the option for you to use the disguise command, isn't it interesting for you?
you can turn the player into the monster you want

perhaps it is a good option for your goal.

Funnily enough, I found out pretty quickly just replacing the job class ACT file with the monster's wouldn't work because the action indexes are different (for example if you get hit, the death animation plays and you have to relog). What you can do though is use something like ACT editor and replace the actions manually with the correct sprites and that makes them fully functional. The only major issue is there's no way to hide the player heads or weapons without going through and making them all empty as was mentioned before.

I only recently learned about the disguise command too, it's certainly useful as well for checking sprites. Though in my case I was aiming for a complete sprite replacement of certain jobs which I've more or less managed so far aside from the aforementioned issue.

Edited by Lergen