Sign in to follow this  
Chii

[Error]: Unoptimal clock source detected: 'arch_sys_counter'

Question

Hello,

I'm trying to get Hercules to run on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running DietPi 8.9.1 using the guide: https://habilisbest.com/raspberry-pi-and-ragnarok-online-private-server

I managed to compile and configure it, but when I try to start it, it crashes with the following message:
[Error]: Unoptimal clock source detected: 'arch_sys_counter'. Please set clock source to 'tsc' or 'hyperv_clocksource_tsc_page' or 'kvm-clock'

I'm at my wits end about how to fix that, as:
$ cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/*/available_clocksource
arch_sys_counter

I even acquired a hardware RTC (DS3231) but still get no other options for the clocksource. Does anyone have an idea about what to do to get Hercules to run?

Just in case, here is the complete console output:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Info]: Hercules 64-bit for Linux
[Info]: Build revision: '202206010'
[Info]: Git revision (src): '7bbdb7b0dd1ad37d12c8257bc005cbdae0d88795'
[Info]: Git revision (scripts): '(null)'
[Info]: OS version: 'Debian GNU/Linux 11.5 [aarch64]'
[Info]: CPU: ' [4]'
[Info]: Compiled with GCC v10.2.1, zlib: 1.2.11
[Info]: Compile Flags: -g -O2 -std=c11 -pipe -ffast-math -Wall -Wextra -Wno-sign-compare -fsigned-char -fcf-protection=none -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-clobbered -Wempty-body -Wint-conversion -Winit-self -Wpointer-arith -Wswitch-bool -Wenum-conversion -Wformat-security -Wformat -Wformat-signedness -Wformat-y2k -Wformat-overflow=2 -Wformat-diag -Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn -Wsuggest-attribute=format -Wundef -Wnested-externs -Wold-style-definition -Woverlength-strings -Wredundant-decls -Wmisleading-indentation -Wnull-dereference -Wvla -Wswitch-enum -Wstringop-overflow=4 -Wstring-compare -Wzero-length-bounds -Wabsolute-value -Wshift-overflow=2 -Wno-switch -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-discarded-qualifiers -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wshadow -fno-strict-aliasing -g -fno-omit-frame-pointer -funwind-tables -fno-var-tracking -DHAVE_EXECINFO -I../common -DHAS_TLS -DHAVE_SETRLIMIT -DHAVE_STRNLEN -DPACKETVER=20190605 -DDEBUG -DHAVE_LIBBACKTRACE -DDISABLE_RENEWAL -DHAVE_MONOTONIC_CLOCK
[Info]: Feature Flags: 0x0
[Info]: Timer Function Type: monotonic clock
[Info]: Packet version: 20190605 main
[Info]: Found clock sources: 'arch_sys_counter '
[Error]: Unoptimal clock source detected: 'arch_sys_counter'. Please set clock source to 'tsc' or 'hyperv_clocksource_tsc_page' or 'kvm-clock'

6 answers to this question

if server terminated for some reason, this mean you have other issue.

probably this is because missing part of this tutorial.

For arm you must use configure flag --disable-manager. This need because memory manager very old and buggy, and works only on x64 arch.

./configure --disable-manager

You can ignore this error/warning, because no other clock sources exists in your system.

On 10/23/2022 at 4:23 PM, 4144 said:

You can ignore this error/warning, because no other clock sources exists in your system.

As much as I'd love to just ignore it I can't, because it prevents the server from starting.

I just checked it once again to make sure... no listeners open on port 6900 and the others.

If you know of a method to make it start anyway, please tell me (and the audience here) the details about it.

how it prevent server from starting?

it show message and do nothing else

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy at work recently.

I managed to get the server to run after recompiling it using the configure flag you mentioned, many thanks! ;o)

Edited by Chii