Question

Hi Guys,

I setup a server recently and is now on beta-phase. One thing that we see as an issue is running ragnarok together with Windows 8.1. When we try to open the executable file for a player who is running on windows 8.1, nothing is coming up and there's no errors. The process is also not appearing in the task manager. All of my testers who are running on Windows 7 and below however, are not having any issues like this. 

What's unique is that, when he downloaded my lite installer, it was running fine however getting errors in game. So we advised our player to fully patch kRO and he did. After completely patching kRO, his nightmares follow. 

Here are the things that we've done in trying to make it run. 

1.) Change compatibility of the executable file to winxp sp3, win 7, and other prior versions. 

2.) Took ownership of the executable file and opensetup.exe to ensure settings are saved. 

3.) Ran opensetup.exe as administrator and toggling through the resolution from full screen to lower.

4.) Tried different setup.exe file and toggled through every possible settings inside.

5.) Disabled antivirus and firewall. We also added it in the exception list of exe that shouldnt be blocked. 

6.) Lowered UAC to the lowest possible option and added the executable file in DEP exception list.  

7.) Downloaded 3 kRO clients, one is the 4/10/2012, 3/15,2015 and 10/08/2013 and patched it fully using the kRO lite patcher. 

8.) Checked the logs of Windows 8 but it's not showing in the application error logs. 

I am totally out of ideas as to how to fix this. It has been a big discussion really how Windows 8 and the later versions work. I dont think that there is a problem with the ragnarok files as I've also had it working on a Virtual Setup of Windows 8.1. I am clueless if there is a setting that still needs to be changed in Windows 8 that would make ragnarok work. 

P.S. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. I apologize in advanced. 

Thanks,

Ray

15 answers to this question

Mmm thats weird :S

I am using Win 10, I am even emulating Hercules on it and 0 errors, no problems.

Have you checked Win Updates?

Edited by Kusoo

I am using Win 10, I am even emulating Hercules on it and 0 errors, no problems.

Indeed.

I forgot to add that to the list. Windows is fully updated.  

Indeed.

Don't run it from program files folder maybe, works fine for me in windows 8.1(setup.exe have some problem, and nothing else)

Indeed.

Don't run it from program files folder maybe, works fine for me in windows 8.1(setup.exe have some problem, and nothing else)

The location of the files are in a folder saved on the desktop. C:UsersUsernameDesktopGravity.

I did try though to move the files from Desktop to Document, to Program Files and to partitioned HD. I am still however getting the usual response from the machine; when I click on the .exe of the file, nothing comes up and no errors are showing. 

Can be issue if "Username" in path have non ascii chars (non english or not numbers)

I'll see if I can help with this later when I get home, but have you let them try to always run the game in administrator mode? far as I can remember I didn't have any problems with RO in windows 8.1, if it was running before downloading the kRO, there should be no problems.

Go to properties of the executable file ( Ragnarok Exe / Patcher )

2hhgluh.jpg

PS : Sorry its grayed out here in my desktop at the office. lol

Edited by Virtue

Can be issue if "Username" in path have non ascii chars (non english or not numbers)

I wish that was the case but the player has not come to the point where he could login. When he runs the .exe file of the game it just wont come out nor appear in the processes in task manager. Totally out of idea :(

I'll see if I can help with this later when I get home, but have you let them try to always run the game in administrator mode? far as I can remember I didn't have any problems with RO in windows 8.1, if it was running before downloading the kRO, there should be no problems.

Go to properties of the executable file ( Ragnarok Exe / Patcher )

2hhgluh.jpg

PS : Sorry its grayed out here in my desktop at the office. lol

Yes. We tried all available compatibility option via administrator and standard user. Head's bleeding from all the scratchin' :/

I wish that was the case but the player has not come to the point where he could login. When he runs the .exe file of the game it just wont come out nor appear in the processes in task manager. Totally out of idea :(

Go to properties of the executable file ( Ragnarok Exe / Patcher )2hhgluh.jpgPS : Sorry its grayed out here in my desktop at the office. lol

Yes. We tried all available compatibility option via administrator and standard user. Head's bleeding from all the scratchin' :/

Last but not the least, give your whole ROO Folder to him, maybe he misses some files or data folder, or clientinfo.XML which makes client to not start...

Is the sound mode set (in your setup)? Some clients will autoclose if it's set to none.

Put your RO out of any restricted folders, for example : C:GamesRO.

Are some fonts missing? The client will autoclose if the primary fonts are missing. They are located in either SystemFont... or data..., you should have the following files :

NHCgogo_10.eotNHCgogo_12.eotRixDiary_10.eotRixFreshman_10.eotRixJJangu_10.eotRixKid_10.eotRixLoveangel_10.eotRixLoveangel_12.eotRixMagic_10.eotRixMiniHeart_10.eotRixNHCgogo_10.eotRixSquirrel_10.eotRixSquirrel_12.eot

Have you restarted the computer? Sounds silly, but... at this point erm... Nothing else comes to mind at the moment!

Is the sound mode set (in your setup)? Some clients will autoclose if it's set to none.

Put your RO out of any restricted folders, for example : C:GamesRO.

Are some fonts missing? The client will autoclose if the primary fonts are missing. They are located in either SystemFont... or data..., you should have the following files :

NHCgogo_10.eotNHCgogo_12.eotRixDiary_10.eotRixFreshman_10.eotRixJJangu_10.eotRixKid_10.eotRixLoveangel_10.eotRixLoveangel_12.eotRixMagic_10.eotRixMiniHeart_10.eotRixNHCgogo_10.eotRixSquirrel_10.eotRixSquirrel_12.eot

Have you restarted the computer? Sounds silly, but... at this point erm... Nothing else comes to mind at the moment!

Thanks for your correspondence and efforts buddy. My tester is currently sleeping atm. We will check this out asap. Though I triple checked the system folder and yes, the font is all complete. In opensetup, the sound is by default in no sound. Let me see if he can toggle it to 2d sound or 3d sound later on. 

I too am out of ideas, as of now, the only alternative we currently have in hand is him playing the game in virtual setup lol else, we would wipe his win 8.1 and start from a clean setup. This situation is beyond my brain's boiling point cause, it used to run before him patching his kRO to the latest update. 

Go to properties of the executable file ( Ragnarok Exe / Patcher )2hhgluh.jpgPS : Sorry its grayed out here in my desktop at the office. lol

ockquote>

Last but not the least, give your whole ROO Folder to him, maybe he misses some files or data folder, or clientinfo.XML which makes client to not start...

Yes sir. We've quadruple checked every single thing. There's no files missing. :( My tester's brain all over the place made him wipe the Windows 8.1 LOL. He's currently updating now. 

hmm, how about the system folder? I've tried as much as I can to replicate this, but so far, I wasn't able to launch the client when the custom System folder was not in the fresh/clean kRO.

Just an update~ We wiped windows 8.1 back to default, updated drivers and the system.

We tried launching the game however, it's still doing the same thing we went to our checklist of troubleshooting and it's still experiencing the same thing.

Yes, this is a 10/18/2013 fresh and was patched up to date kRO. 

By the way, this is a Surface Pro 3 running on 8.1 and below are the specifications. 

Software

Windows 8.1 Pro

Exterior

Casing: Magnesium • Color: Silver • Physical buttons: Volume, Power, Home

Dimensions

11.50 x 7.93 x 0.36 in (292.10 x 201.42 x 9.14 mm)

Weight

1.76 lbs (0.79 kg)

Hard drive size2

Solid state drive (SSD) options: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB

Memory

64GB or 128GB version with 4GB RAM
256GB or 512GB version with 8GB RAM

Display

Screen: 12" ClearType Full HD Display • Resolution: 2160 x 1440 • Aspect Ratio: 3:2 • Touch: Multitouch input

Processor

256GB and 512GB/Intel i7 version:
4th generation Intel Core i7-4650U 1.70 GHz (with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.3 GHZ) with Intel HD Graphics 5000

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chip for enterprise security

Wireless

802.11ac/802.11a/b/g/n

Bluetooth

Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy technology

Battery Life

Up to 9 hours of web browsing5

Cameras and Video

5MP and 1080p HD front- and rear-facing cameras • Built-in front- and rear-facing microphones • Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound

Audio

Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound

Ports

Full-size USB 3.0 • microSD card reader • Headphone jack • Mini DisplayPort • Cover port • Charging port

Sensors

Ambient light sensor • Accelerometer • Gyroscope • Magnetometer

I am also having the same problem as TS. I have been troubleshooting ragnarok for a week and yet to no avail. Have done all the suggestions posted in this thread and googled all possible solutions. Can you help me fix this?