Antares

Hercules feature tracking

Xgear advised me to start this suggestion, based on this post:

http://herc.ws/board/topic/744-hercules-feature-status/

So would it be possible to make some kind of page/document/txt/anything in which everyone can keep track of the implemented kRo features of Hercules? It would be good, because looking thru the git timeline is not very easy to find something, and gathering data on features would be easier, because we would know what is missing and what is already done. Even a plain txt, updated regularly would suffice, but of course it can be made more sophisticated.

The point is that this shouldn't be a timeline thing, but a fix list of features which is updated every time something new appears.

For example:

-3rd jobs:                  Implemented @ 2019.12.12 - r19999-renewal mechanics:         Partially Implemented     -renewal aspd:         Implemented @ 2019.11.11 - r18888     -renewal attack:       To be done-WOE TE:                    To be done-Episode 13 quests          Implemented @............-Client support 2012-04-10  Implemented @............-Episode 19.2 quests        To be done-LHZ dun 04 & mobs          Implemented @............etcetcetcetc 

/edit

Ah yes, and it doesen't need to be very detailed down to every function that appeared. So if we already implemented, let's say episode 12 and below, and episode 13 is to be done, then we can say that

-episode 12 and below: implemented @ ...........

-episode 13: to be done

Same for client support dates, and anything that is continously developing. This way the list remains easily readable.

Edited by Antares

+1

Everyone gets messed up with this.. They don't know the revision where X thing was implemented

We can show the revision numbers to only those we implement now and we already know. It's not super neccessary to look it up to the fist thing.

Awesome idea, specially to improve collaborative working with the community. 

A few further suggestions: 

- Mark things As "Gathering info","Not started" and such. If gathering info, point whoever is "in charge" of info gathering (for instance, everyone says malufett is working on some of the renewal mechanics, so if someone can gather/has information, they could address it to him)

- While a lot of people is interested in episodes, I doubt you can really work under episodes completely, as if there is a single NPC missing then the whole thing is missing? If I am not wrong there are still some stuff missing from 2 episodes ago -really minor- lol). Could be much better to narrow it down a bit (City, Big/long quests, mobs, fields, items)

- A few major topics gathering info and links to them (There is 2013 Ragexe area, There was the Battlegrounds topic, etc)

- Git doesnt have Revision numbers, so date + sha1 of the commit

Nice idea, have a further suggestion regarding this :

Or maybe create a hercules patcher. Must be located on hercules folder and there is a button like update button. Once clicked execute git pull command? Then there is a news box where it contains updates regarding a certain revision? haha. 

Nice idea, have a further suggestion regarding this :

Or maybe create a hercules patcher. Must be located on hercules folder and there is a button like update button. Once clicked execute git pull command? Then there is a news box where it contains updates regarding a certain revision? haha. 

Lol. Since I use console via SSH to admin the server, I would'n be able to see things like this, and I bet many admins do the same ^^. To update the server we use a bash script, and you can do the same on windows with a batch. But this is a little offtopic ;)

Edited by Antares

yeah i just read post #1, and i reacted like this :o

Git doesn't use Revision Number (SHA)
about tracking features added or whatever you call those episodes of ragnarok online

i remember there is a talk like that before in the making of hercules(i guess 3 months before hercules started).

Its about splitting those stuff in a repository. No idea what happen to that plan and for me it really sucks splitting it..

back to the topic, documentation of the implemented and will be implemented stuffs in hercules.

not totally a bad idea,  you can just add a README file inside /npc/

or or ( sorry about how i write this stupid post, i haven't sleep yet :D )

bring back Changelog inside Hercules root

ofc, Changelog doesn't mean commits you've done ( thats stupid git timeline does that )

it contantains stuffs you implemented like

[Month-Year][Core] Introducing Channel System[Core] Added Plugin System[Core] Packet Overhaul[Feat] Added Episode 11: Star Wars[Feat] Rewrite the Whole Episode 19: Twilight

and yes its monthly, why? ist better ofc
no one will look everyday in Changelog
Since Repository News still exist you know :>

yeah i just read post #1, and i reacted like this :o

Git doesn't use Revision Number (SHA)

about tracking features added or whatever you call those episodes of ragnarok online

i remember there is a talk like that before in the making of hercules(i guess 3 months before hercules started).

Its about splitting those stuff in a repository. No idea what happen to that plan and for me it really sucks splitting it..

back to the topic, documentation of the implemented and will be implemented stuffs in hercules.

not totally a bad idea,  you can just add a README file inside /npc/

or or ( sorry about how i write this stupid post, i haven't sleep yet :D )

bring back Changelog inside Hercules root

ofc, Changelog doesn't mean commits you've done ( thats stupid git timeline does that )

it contantains stuffs you implemented like

[Month-Year][Core] Introducing Channel System[Core] Added Plugin System[Core] Packet Overhaul[Feat] Added Episode 11: Star Wars[Feat] Rewrite the Whole Episode 19: Twilight

and yes its monthly, why? ist better ofc

no one will look everyday in Changelog

Since Repository News still exist you know :>

This.

This topic has completely fallen into oblivion. I suppose it'd be better to rely on our wiki for things like this because you won't depend on a given user for updatign the feature table.

Anyone wants to make this on the wiki?