AvalonBright

Haven't run a server in four years, where do I start?!

Question

Like the title says! I used to run an eAthena server from 2004-2010, but for various reasons we went on hiatus. With how much has been added to RO in the last four years though I'm getting the itch to get a server going again, which led me to Hercules vs rAthena. From what I can see Hercules seems to be the way to go, but with SO many changes since I last ran a server I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed! Renewal wasn't even a thing when I last ran a server, nor was Github, and third jobs weren't even fully implemented. So you can see I'm pretty behind the times. I'm hoping I can get some help here, and I'd super appreciate if anyone could answer my questions!

1. How do I get started! I'm probably going to pay for a cheap host (I run a roleplaying server, so I just need room for 20-30 people, most likely!), but I don't know how to get started in this new world of Github, etc. Can someone direct me to any potential setup instructions that would work with a remote host's setup? I know rathena had the Judas Bible but I don't know if there's anything like that now, plus I'm pretty sure even that's outdated anyway.

2. What happened to the databases, etc? Just skimming through github I couldn't find the itemdb, the mobdb, the skilldb, etc. Where did they go?

3. Just how updated IS Hercules, entirely? I did some looking through the update threads but when I looked at github I couldn't seem to find any updates. I basically couldn't seem to find anything that suggested 13.2 and onward was actually implemented besides Jobs, but I'm sure that can't be the case! This may just be my cluelessness at the new server file structure though @ being unable to find dbs as well, so I may just be looking in the wrong places. But for example I saw nothing related to warps/npcs for Brasilis in the npc folders, or Dewata or Malaya, and so on and so forth.

Really this all boils down to question 1 I guess. I don't know how to get started even remotely, be it from server software to what I want to do on the client side of things either. Any very clear directions would be great!

27 answers to this question

Hmm. I don't have a packet.h... Is it packets.h in srcmap?

Also when I edited the mmo.h the checkmark icon on the folder turned to a red "!" instead. Is that just because I edited something or is it saying there's a problem?

no problem. its just tellling you that a file is modified or edited