I want to know the current state (not the state, but what you guys are going to do) of the three branches we have atm (rAthena, zones, bcrypt), preferable by some dev admin like @Ind or @Haru

PS: I am not the only one that wants to know it :P

As far as I'm aware of those branches are used for testing purposes, systems that are not yet done etc., except for 'rAthena' that's used for internal reference in commits.

As far as I'm aware of those branches are used for testing purposes, systems that are not yet done etc., except for 'rAthena' that's used for internal reference in commits.

I do know their purposes :P what I want to know is how is the development goal, if they will continue (for example, gepard started the bcrypt but seems like he is retired) or drop them, what will be done to them :)

Out of the current, unmerged, branches:

- rathena : It's being kept for historical reference, but it is no longer updated now that rAthena is on GitHub (it'd be pointless and it'd make our repository even larger)

- zones : It was already there before I joined, so I know very little about it. I believe it's a dropped project favor of the HPM interfaces. Ind perhaps knows more about it than I do...

- bcrypt : Stalled until further notice. Gepard is on hiatus, and he's the branch author, even though I have contributed to it as well. I can consider resuming to work on it myself if there's enough demand, but there are some performance concerns that need to be solved/mitigated. It would also require a rewrite of the authentication (and brute-force mitigation) part in control panels or other third party software before being usable.

There are also other branches being developed, but they're not part of the main repository yet because they're not mature enough (some of us have branches in their own GitHub fork of the repository)

Edit: I forgot to mention, none of those branches has its history set in stone yet, so they should be only used if you know to recover your working copy from a history rewrite (rebase, etc)

Out of the current, unmerged, branches:

- rathena : It's being kept for historical reference, but it is no longer updated now that rAthena is on GitHub (it'd be pointless and it'd make our repository even larger)

- zones : It was already there before I joined, so I know very little about it. I believe it's a dropped project favor of the HPM interfaces. Ind perhaps knows more about it than I do...

- bcrypt : Stalled until further notice. Gepard is on hiatus, and he's the branch author, even though I have contributed to it as well. I can consider resuming to work on it myself if there's enough demand, but there are some performance concerns that need to be solved/mitigated. It would also require a rewrite of the authentication (and brute-force mitigation) part in control panels or other third party software before being usable.

There are also other branches being developed, but they're not part of the main repository yet because they're not mature enough (some of us have branches in their own GitHub fork of the repository)

Edit: I forgot to mention, none of those branches has its history set in stone yet, so they should be only used if you know to recover your working copy from a history rewrite (rebase, etc)

thanks for your input Haru, now lets just wait for Ind's one :P btw how is your rAthena merge issue going? seems like it stalled too :P

I think the "zones" branch, was an approach to multizone Hercules, fixing all the problems in the actual multizone environment

can you elaborate? I don't get what zones are xD

It was an approach (by MIA GreenBox, mainly) aimed to have multiple interconnected zone servers. Think of a zone server as a map server in which you just rely to serve some maps, or two parallel dimensions on a same server much like professional game services.