Sign in to follow this  
Kirek

Didn't want to...

Hello everyone,

I really didn't want to create an account, but I had little choice. -_- it would seem I'm either blind or stupid, but I can't find ANYTHING on what hercules actually has to offer other then one post about Herc versus rA. I was hoping for a list of features. Like what makes hercules so enticing? 

The one thing that has really enticed me is the ability to easily add custom content? What's this all about? Is it just source code? No one liked to document anything on the server I'm working on, so finding the customs to switch to anything is just... painful. Probably doesn't help that I couldn't set up an environment if my life depended on it. And I'm not an expert in C.

Github is also pretty new to me, is there any good books out there? Or websites that can teach you the basics?

Sorry that my first post is just full of questions, that have probably been answered 100 times over. I try to use the search function... but if I don't know what the correct question is I can't find the correct answer.

It is really up to you, if you are fad of rATHENA or Hercules.

You can find most of the changes here

http://herc.ws/board/forum/12-repository-news/

wiki is also helpful,

http://herc.ws/wiki/Main_Page

i don't know any book other than the one K&R wrote which is probably pretty hard to read unless you can read twisted/old english statements.

you can use SVN to get the trunk instead of Github if that is easy for you.

I personally love Hercules' HPM and libconfig-style format for the item databases. The mob database is a work-in-progress for a similar format, so I'm looking forward to that too. I prefer it over rAthena particularly because of my ability to stay up-to-date with the latest revisions by syncing with the Git repo - and most source changes I need can be hooked with HPM. Additionally, Hercules is less memory-intensive; you can run it on a Raspberry Pi if you really wanted to. In comparison, a clean Hercules uses up about 35-75 MB RAM, while rAthena uses 350+ MB RAM.

These are just a few things that I really like about Hercules, but I suppose it's just a matter of preference, I guess. We don't have as much official content (to my knowledge), but the content we do have is accurate and up-to-date.