eKoh

I want to learn Source code

Question

hello guys, I am eKoh, currently I am developing some stuff, but by only Scripting.

Now that I want to make major things I am facing that I also need to modify/add source code.

I hate to stop doing something because my knowledge is limited, so I want to break that wall and reach the next level.

But since my time is now also limited (I study and also work X_x) I want to learn source code efficiently.

What I am in need of, is on any recommendation on where to look, what to do, articles to read, whatever that you think is better to learn.

I would really really appreciate any help.

Currently I am reading some C++ stuff, but I wonder if you have experienced any practice that made you learn sourcing more efficiently.

Edited by eKoh

4 answers to this question

Working on the emulators certainly helped me a lot also learning it. I'm not the type who reads explanations. I just look at examples and then try to imitate them. At first I started with easy code changes like just correcting the damage which is basically just finding it in the code and changing a number and then tried continuously harder things.

Now I set debug messages everywhere and run test cases to figure out complex problems.

But I guess I had programming knowledge even before joining eAthena.

So going back even earlier... well I guess I simply wrote a hello world program. Also looking at an example, copying it, getting it to compile, and be happy that it showed "Hello world". And then I slowly expanded that like "When I press a key I want it to show a second message" and "Now the user should input a number and it should show the square of it" and then I started writing small minigames like "A goblin appears what to you want to do? 1. Hit it 2. Run away".

I guess I'll give you a more precise suggestion. Read and follow "The C Programming Language - 2nd edition" book, along with the exercises your C knowledge should be enough to be able to understand what the emulator does and how. Then, you can fix bugs or develop your own code, but above all you'll need time to understand the emulator code.

I just look at examples and then try to imitate them. At first I started with easy code changes like just correcting the damage which is basically just finding it in the code and changing a number and then tried ontinuously harder things.

So going back even earlier... well I guess I simply wrote a hello world program. Also looking at an example, copying it, getting it to compile, and be happy that it showed "Hello world". And then I slowly expanded that like "When I press a key I want it to show a second message" and "Now the user should input a number and it should show the square of it" and then I started writing small minigames like "A goblin appears what to you want to do? 1. Hit it 2. Run away".

I see, I also made this when I started to script, by reading some NPCs scripts and trying to imitate and also understanding what it is doing. I only need basic C understanding to start.

I guess I'll give you a more precise suggestion. Read and follow "The C Programming Language - 2nd edition" book, along with the exercises your C knowledge should be enough to be able to understand what the emulator does and how. Then, you can fix bugs or develop your own code, but above all you'll need time to understand the emulator code.

To understand the code, that's the goal for now, then I can start to develope, by the way, thank you for the book, I like to read, I'll check it out =)!

I agree with Playtester and csnv, while I myself are in the same position as yourself, I have recently increased the amount of work I do from script -> source code. A lot (~85%)  of the stuff I write in src, doesn't work. But the 15% that did work, I am proud to say I did all on my own with little to no help aside from looking at source code for references, and the times I ask for it in source_support section ( very good place if you get stuck ).

I can even go as far to say that after just 2-3 months of experimentation, I was able to make 2 working commands ( src code was moderately borrowed from existing ) with the plugin system.

So believe me when I say, it's not some unreachable place or goal. With a little bit of time and some passionate effort, you can get there, because I know I'm still trying and slowly moving towards that position! Learners rally!!