Rytech

The Pain of An Emulator Developer

I read something on ragezone recently and I felt I can relate to what was said. Number 2 is a biggie when it comes to packets because it slows down all other development of new features and content and lately this is starting to become a issue bigger then the norm due to lack of server data leaks.

https://ragezone.com/2015/10/23/the-pain-of-an-emulator-developer/

Its also difficult when your forced to learn something new about the emulator. What pains do you guys/girls deal with?

Whenever they deprecate a script command for me, or change the syntax on some commands because then I have to manually go inside all my scripts and replace a lot of functions.

Example: goto, set, and how NPC labels are called

That's why Herc has the plugin system for a part of the missing source additions that other emulators provide.

Besides having (more?) community contributions, it allows for easier patches.

However, I do agree it can be somewhat frustrating to have to fix everything from scratch.

But that's why you've got a forum, are able to fix it and do pull requests and discuss the situation so it can be solved relatively quick.

+1 Aeromesi

When "core-dev" decide to deprecate the use of Sprite_ID for npc...  <_< (shit, this is only a sprite id. Why forcing us to write 4_F_KDA45GAL ?? Why?)