Sign in to follow this  
Anubis-K

Massive texture exchange

Question

Dear Mapers,

I have a doubt about the texture exchange of a map. Basically, I have two maps sharing the location and name of some folders (textures and models), therefore there is a conflict between the maps.

The situation:

- There is the normal Glasheim dungeon which looks like a destroyed castle (glast_01). This castle has certain textures and models that I want to preserve.
- Also, there is an other version which is a reconstruction of that map (by the way a beautiful work). This is a costume map (http://rathena.org/board/files/file/2483-dennys-map-pack/)

The problem: The restored version uses the same textures names and locations that the normal map uses (just other GRF). when I try to have both maps in a server one will have the textures of the other one:

- If I charge the GRF that comes with the costume version, the normal version of Glastheim will have some restored parts coming from this GRF.
- If I do not charge the GRF the new version will have some destroyed parts from the normal map.

The doubt: Do you know a simple method to fix it? I mean, a method to change the folder location of the textures (or texture names) of the Restored map and therefore keep both maps living in harmony?

One idea I have is a brute force method, where I should change the textures one by one. 

Is there a more elegant method?

Best regards

4 answers to this question

I know exactly what you want. I've encountered with the same thing before years ago, and It took me back to those days that maps were done with notepad  when we didn't have map editors :P

1. Using notepad++ edit RSW (for ragnarok models) and GND files (for the ground).
  2. Take a look at all the entries that ends with ".bmp" and make a note of the directories paths (the most of cases an official map tends to use only 1 directory path)
  3. Use the find and replace tool of notepad++ by finding the directory you looked at and replace with your new name but PLEASE read: You can only change the last 3 or 2 letters of the directory you are looking for.

Lets make an example if you want to change a copy of all prontera texture models at the same time: open prontera.rsw and look for "ÇÁ·ÐÅ׶ó" and replace with "ÇÁ·ÐÅ×-1" (notice I changed the last 2 letters) save everything and now your prontera.rsw will read only that directory (which now you can copy with your custom textures) If you don't follow the same way (for example you edit the first 2 letters, instead of the last 2 letters) your map will crash, so be carefull and always do a backup.

Edit. By this simple method you can have multiple different pronteras with different textures in harmony as you said before. You can do the same with your maps.

Edited by Olrox

There is no elegant method, the textures of one of the maps will have to change, at least the names of the textures 

Thank you for your answer, but this is not the point where I have the problem.
I can add textured to the map editor to use them afterwards (then, I have both set of textures), this is not a problem.

The problem comes here:

Normal map = N
Restored version= R:

N has a texture with a name text1.bmp=T1
R has a the same name for other texture.

I add the texture "text1_new.bmp=T2" to the software (I can use the texture). Then I have T1 and T2 in different files. Until this point, every thing ok.

I would like to open R with a certain software and to replace T1 for T2 in all the required places. I did try with browedit 586 but did not work (always have to replace cell by cell), or at least I did not find the correct option. By the way I'm  scripter, I can program, but graphic stuff is not something I am skillfull.

I could do it replacing one by one in the entair map (time consuming, and boring to me), but guess should exist other method, or at least an option I do not know.

I know exactly what you want. I've encountered with the same thing before years ago, and It took me back to those days that maps were done with notepad  when we didn't have map editors :P

1. Using notepad++ edit RSW (for ragnarok models) and GND files (for the ground).
  2. Take a look at all the entries that ends with ".bmp" and make a note of the directories paths (the most of cases an official map tends to use only 1 directory path)
  3. Use the find and replace tool of notepad++ by finding the directory you looked at and replace with your new name but PLEASE read: You can only change the last 3 or 2 letters of the directory you are looking for.

Lets make an example if you want to change a copy of all prontera texture models at the same time: open prontera.rsw and look for "ÇÁ·ÐÅ׶ó" and replace with "ÇÁ·ÐÅ×-1" (notice I changed the last 2 letters) save everything and now your prontera.rsw will read only that directory (which now you can copy with your custom textures) If you don't follow the same way (for example you edit the first 2 letters, instead of the last 2 letters) your map will crash, so be carefull and always do a backup.

Edit. By this simple method you can have multiple different pronteras with different textures in harmony as you said before. You can do the same with your maps.

Very Informative Olrox, I do not believe I have ever seen this info anywhere. I will have to give it a try some time.