Sign in to follow this  
Dies Irae

Failed to connect to server.

Question

Hello.

After trying with rAthena and having too many errors I decided to give a try to Hercules (that has been really better!).

This is my first server, even if I'm reading eA and rA since years. I just wanna make a server but I'm having some issues on first steps.

I have downloaded a fresh Hercules emulator

Made my own "...confimport" folder (and related .txt files)

Checked if "...srccommonmmo.h" contains the right packetver (#define PACKETVER 20131223 -> I'm using 2013-12-23cRagexe.exe patched with NEMO Patcher)

Recompiled.

Setted MySQL schemas and user (superuser for server communication + my admin account)

Patched my client

Made a GRF (converting to UNICODE file paths/names, with my custom "dataclientinfo.xml")

Made a DATA.INI file with my custom GRF listed as first

Started runserver with no errors (unlocking Windows Firewall/granting UAC permissions forever)

Runned client, given my credentials/tried to make a new account with _M/F (I have setted it enabled into my "...confimportlogin_conf.txt")

"Failed to connect to server"

Assuming MySQL5 instance is running properly (system tray monitor says so), I don't get any char/map/login-server error and my GRF is properly done ... why the server keeps erroring with "Failed to connect to server"? I'm running on localhost (127.0.0.1) but I cannot figure why this happens.

Here some screen and code to help you solving my problem.

clientinfo.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="euc-kr" ?><clientinfo>    <desc>Ragnarok Client Information</desc>    <servicetype>korea</servicetype>    <servertype>sakray</servertype>    <hideaccountlist />    <passwordencrypt />    <passwordencrypt2 />    <extendedslot />    <readfolder />    <connection>        <display>MyServerHere</display>        <desc>server</desc>        <balloon>server</balloon>        <address>127.0.0.1</address>        <port>6900</port>        <version>20</version>        <langtype>1</langtype>        <registrationweb>REGISTRATION URL HERE</registrationweb>        <yellow>            <admin>2000001</admin>            <admin>2000002</admin>            <admin>2000003</admin>        </yellow>        <loading>            <image>loading00.jpg</image>            <image>loading01.jpg</image>            <image>loading02.jpg</image>            <image>loading03.jpg</image>            <image>loading04.jpg</image>            <image>loading05.jpg</image>            <image>loading06.jpg</image>            <image>loading07.jpg</image>            <image>loading08.jpg</image>            <image>loading09.jpg</image>            <image>loading10.jpg</image>        </loading>    </connection></clientinfo>

NEMO Patcher log

8 Custom Window Title9 Disable 1rag1 type parameters (Recommended)13 Disable Ragexe Filename Check (Recommended)14 Disable Hallucination Wavy Screen (Recommended)15 Disable HShield (Recommended)19 Enable Title Bar Menu24 Fix Camera Angles (Recommended)31 Increase Zoom Out 75%33 Always Call SelectKoreaClientInfo() (Recommended)34 Enable /showname (Recommended)36 Read msgstringtable.txt (Recommended)37 Read questid2display.txt (Recommended)38 Remove Gravity Ads (Recommended)39 Remove Gravity Logo (Recommended)40 Restore Login Window (Recommended)41 Disable Nagle Algorithm (Recommended)44 Translate Client (Recommended)48 Use Plain Text Descriptions (Recommended)49 Enable Multiple GRFs (Recommended)53 Use Ascii on All Langtypes (Recommended)61 Disable Packet Encryption (Recommended)64 @ Bug Fix (Recommended)73 Remove Hourly Announce (Recommended)84 Remove Serial Display (Recommended)88 Allow space in guild name90 Enable DNS Support (Recommended)97 Cancel to Login Window (Recommended)102 Fix Tetra Vortex

login-server + char-server

map-server

Side note: I checked many posts on both rA and Hercules but cannot find any solution. The only thing I thought could help didn't worked (I gave a try to this).

Thanks for any help (hopeful I have posted on the right section ... I have really no idea if it depends on client or emulator configurations).

If need more infos just have to ask.

Edited by Dies Irae

4 answers to this question

Ok ... while I was reading/replying you and testing some changes ... seems I have solved.

I've modified my clientinfo.xml (tried few langtypes and server versions).

After some client crash and failed connection into the login-server (that made me think was the right way to follow ... finally some communication between client and server!) now anything seems in working order and able to login/create accounts with the _M/F function.

Below my new clientinfo.xml ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="euc-kr" ?><clientinfo>	<servicetype>korea</servicetype>	<servertype>primary</servertype>	<connection>		<display>Server</display>		<desc>Server</desc>		<address>127.0.0.1</address>		<port>6900</port>		<version>20</version>		<langtype>18</langtype>		<balloon>Server</balloon>		<registrationweb>REGISTRATION URL HERE</registrationweb>		<yellow>			<admin>2000001</admin>					</yellow>		<loading>			<image>loading00.jpg</image>					</loading>	</connection></clientinfo>

To note: the old lines ...

<hideaccountlist />    <passwordencrypt />    <passwordencrypt2 />    <extendedslot />    <readfolder />
... have been removed.

I've tested also some client DIFF with enabled/disabled "Read DATA folder first" and "SSO Login Packet" but in both cases it's working, for now I will keep it the way it is.

In other words: I don't really have a clear idea on how I fixed it, but seems those lines into my clientinfo.xml gave the connection problems.

The only problem is that now my old admin account cannot login (error: "Incorrect userid or password. Try again. (1)") ... I will just modify the new account GM level into SQL database.

I will keep testing and investigating. Till new updates any user with the same problem consider those lines as cause of the problem.

A warm thanks to jaBote; thanks also to shakto for his "2013 Ragexe Support" thread (gave some purpose to be tested).

PS: Yes, it's for personal use, so no worries about posting actual user/password around. Thanks for the thought. :P

Edited by Dies Irae

Is account creation with _M/_F successful?

Unlucky is not.

I tried makin a new account, or digit a wrong password on my admin account (admin:password -> admin:password1 ... to try getting at least the "Wrong password or username" error). Nothing.

It just don't communicates to the server (map-server, login-server and char-server batch don't reports any error or activity ... nothing).

I assume the client is not communicating properly with the server.

If it is, re-check your conf/map-server.conf and conf/map-server.conf IP addresses and ports.

conf/map-server.conf and conf/map-server.conf ? Same file? Must be a typo.

Anyway: I checked all the "...confimport" files twice and my settings seems well done.

I will post them below here ... maybe I'm wrong (I think I can do idiot errors, since it's my first server).

...confimportchar_conf.txt

// Server Communication username and password.

userid: t6DtbAEeSQ8Re9m

passwd: Bcj9GhyVBAmpY8B

// Server name, use alternative character such as ASCII 160 for spaces.

// NOTE: Do not use spaces or any of these characters which are not allowed in

// Windows filenames /:*?"<>|

// ... or else guild emblems won't work client-side!

server_name: RagnarokServerHere

// Login Server IP

// The character server connects to the login server using this IP address.

// NOTE: This is useful when you are running behind a firewall or are on

// a machine with multiple interfaces.

login_ip: 127.0.0.1

// Login Server Port

login_port: 6900

// Character Server IP

// The IP address which clients will use to connect.

// Set this to what your server's public IP address is.

char_ip: 127.0.0.1

// Character Server Port

char_port: 6121

...confimportinter_conf.txt

// Global SQL settings

// overridden by local settings when the hostname is defined there

// (currently only the login-server reads/obeys these settings)

sql.db_hostname: 127.0.0.1

sql.db_port: 3306

sql.db_username: t6DtbAEeSQ8Re9m

sql.db_password: Bcj9GhyVBAmpY8B

sql.db_database: ragnarok

sql.codepage:

// MySQL Character SQL server

char_server_ip: 127.0.0.1

char_server_port: 3306

char_server_id: t6DtbAEeSQ8Re9m

char_server_pw: Bcj9GhyVBAmpY8B

char_server_db: ragnarok

// MySQL Map SQL Server

map_server_ip: 127.0.0.1

map_server_port: 3306

map_server_id: t6DtbAEeSQ8Re9m

map_server_pw: Bcj9GhyVBAmpY8B

map_server_db: ragnarok

// MySQL Log SQL Database

log_db_ip: 127.0.0.1

log_db_port: 3306

log_db_id: t6DtbAEeSQ8Re9m

log_db_pw: Bcj9GhyVBAmpY8B

log_db_db: log

log_codepage:

log_login_db: loginlog

...confimportlogin_conf.txt

// Can you use _M/_F to make new accounts on the server?

new_account: yes

...confimportmap_conf.txt

// Server Communication username and password.

userid: t6DtbAEeSQ8Re9m

passwd: Bcj9GhyVBAmpY8B

// Character Server IP

// The map server connects to the character server using this IP address.

// NOTE: This is useful when you are running behind a firewall or are on

// a machine with multiple interfaces.

char_ip: 127.0.0.1

// Character Server Port

char_port: 6121

// Map Server IP

// The IP address which clients will use to connect.

// Set this to what your server's public IP address is.

map_ip: 127.0.0.1

// Map Server Port

map_port: 5121

Other "...conf" files and "...confimport" files haven't been edited.

Thanks for your patience.

Sorry, it was map and char server conf files :(

You should've edited out all usernames and passwords for security reasons, but if you're using them on your home server and you won't be using the same ones when opening a server to other people it's fine.

In case you can't connect to your server for anything (most common situation is you can but you can't get past the login server) then the problem is fully clientside. Could you show us your <RO installation folder>dataclientinfo.xml file contents? You can't usually open that one unless you open it as text.

Remember your clientinfo may be read from your data folder (if you diffed your exe that way) or from the GRF files. In case it's been read from GRF, it's on the GRF with highest priority on your DATA.INI that has that file (if you haven't renamed that file on the exe using a hex editor). In case you haven't that, then make one using this reference entry on the wiki.

I'm not much better than this on clients BTW, so if I can't help you, hope someone else can. Anyways client-side is universal so you can ask the same question here and in rAthena, 3CeAM, brAthena, Cronus, itAthena (if it exists?) or wherever *tip* ;)