Sign in to follow this  
xeNium

Client-Side Tutorial

Question

I need a client-side tutorial (I can easily setup and run a Hercules server because there's ton of server-side tutorial, but unfortunately I can't setup the client-side).

The question

1. Which files I must install in YourRO.grf
  2. Which files I must install in /data/ or /System/ folder
  3. The most stable client for Pre-Renewal Server (perhaps, for Renewal Server too since I don't know what's the community wanted, currently I am planning to run a Pre-Renewal Server)
  4. I am using NEMO at the moment to patch Ragexe but I don't know which patch I must use (but one thing I know, always "Select Recommended" before choosing other patch, lol)
  5. I am planning to use Thor Patcher but I don't know how to prevent users to use Ragexe instead of the Thor Patcher (I mean, If users want to play in the server, they must keep up-to-date but also must use the Thor Patcher not use the Ragexe to open the launcher)
  6. I am planning to use Internal Guard since I heard the developers actively developing the guard (I heard that the Internal Guard currently is seriously easy to be bypass but I don't care about it since it cheap and still under developement, because I heard Harmony is no longer under developement, someone also said, the developers is dead "I am reading a thread about client protection and some of the members claimed that Harmony developers is dead, but I believe, he's leaving the project). Back to the topic, I want to know how I can make the server reject the client If they messing up with the MD5 hash "Editing the client, removing Internal Guard"

Thank you very much, I hope in the future there's full client-side tutorial and it's pinned in the forum, so newbie like me will not frustating (No, I am serious, I am really frustated right now because I am failed to do this simple task!)

2 answers to this question

In your grf(Only apply if you are using kRO's data/rdata.grf)
translation/custom/optional are up to you, you don't really need them unless you are. Your RO Client will run flawless unless a file not found on kRO's data is encountered(Outdated as such).
clientinfo.xml(Must)
book(Optional/translation related)
lua files/luafiles514(Optional/translation related)
palete(Optional)
sprite(Optional/or if Custom Sprite related.)
texture(Optional/translation/custom related)
msgstringtable(Translation related/ Must-ish)
2011-03-15Ragexere/ 2012-04-10Ragexere, also you could use Shin's Diff for these clients
or 2013-08-07Ragexe, I used the xdiffsomething patcher to patch my Ragexe(s) since its simple.

you don't really need a tutorial or some sort, coz' you could use search/or browse through stuff.

Thor Patcher issues is fixed, it's because the v2.6.x.x isn't stable, I am using v2.5.x.x, right now and it works like a charm!

I am also using 2013-08-07Ragexe and using NEMO to patch it.

The remain problems is, I don't want players to join my server without up-to-date files, so somehow I want to force them to use the Thor.exe, not the Ragexe.exe (I am changing the client parameter, so If they don't know the client parameter, they can't use Ragexe.exe directly, but well, deleting and replace the Ragexe.exe will solve it and you still able to play without updating your files). I also (if I can do that, I want players not able to read, extract, or copy the .grf files) or at least cannot modifying it, If they do modifying it, they won't be able to play to the server, automatically disconnected, but I think it's isn't a problem because for most big server, they don't fix these problems, maybe not a priority.