Nanogen

Questions about GRF files

Question

Hey guys,

I'm just looking to organize my GRF files and hope i won't have any issues with that.

So, i was wondering if ''rdata'' and ''data'' could be together ?

And if i could rename stuff in grf s (like sprites, textures ?

Also i start spritting and mapping, and somes files aren't read by my softwares because they have korean into their names, so if i change their name, they won't be read in RO ?

Or i just have to change their name, read them and do my work, and then renamed like they were at the beginning ?  :huh:

Yeah i know, thoses questions are pretty stupid, and i just have to try to know but i already tried to put all my grf together and i've got an error so, if that's possible, i just want to be sure.

Thanks a lot  :)

3 answers to this question

You can merge all the GRFs you want (just edit DATA.INI if available; if not available then you can't), but you can't rename most of the files there without getting client errors. I'm almost certain you can safely rename anything if you recover the original name prior to using.

Not good on clientside myself, but these are pretty basic questions. Nobody will get angry with you if you just searched without success and are looking to learn ;).

rdata isnt in use Since several years now. All you need is data.grf

You can simply delete rdata.grf, i dont use it for 4 years now.

To rename you need to extract the content first Using your prefered grf tool. Still its better to duplicate it instead of renaming. Maps you need to open im browedit and save with the New name (a simple rename does corrupt the rsw)

For translating korean files, use unbollox

Edited by Ridley

rdata isnt in use Since several years now. All you need is data.grf

You can simply delete rdata.grf, i dont use it for 4 years now.

To rename you need to extract the content first Using your prefered grf tool. Still its better to duplicate it instead of renaming. Maps you need to open im browedit and save with the New name (a simple rename does corrupt the rsw)

For translating korean files, use unbollox

tbh, rdata is still used by kRO, but is merged with data.grf time to time(rdata -> kRO Sakray Server uses it)