ToiletMaster

Error Updating through GIT Linux

Question

Hi there everyone!

Currently i'm facing this issue in solving updating my Hercules through my VPS in linux.

Not to mention windows also gives me an error on this part. So both sides are at a bad end.

May i know perhaps what am i currently missing out on this part?

remote: Counting objects: 15, done.remote: Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.remote: Total 10 (delta 8), reused 7 (delta 5)Unpacking objects: 100% (10/10), done.From https://github.com/HerculesWS/Hercules   d663d4d..074b15c  master	 -> origin/masterUpdating 6d042dc..074b15cerror: Your local changes to 'conf/inter-server.conf' would be overwritten by merge.  Aborting.Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.

currently i just go to the root of the folder and type git pull that's all.

Is there anything else i'm missing as of now?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

First of all, you shouldn't be really making changes to default conf files. That's what conf/import folder is for - it's not under CVS so you should put all your custom configurations settings there.

However, it is not always possible to put your changes to separate files, for example when you make source code edits. In such case, you need to merge your modifications with updates coming from remote repository.

Try doing what the message says. First commit changes to your copy of repository (your working copy is also a fully-featured repository) with git commit, and only then git pull to update. 

First do

Git commit -am"Your Log Message"

Then

Git pull

And you are done with updating.

First of all, you shouldn't be really making changes to default conf files. That's what conf/import folder is for - it's not under CVS so you should put all your custom configurations settings there.

However, it is not always possible to put your changes to separate files, for example when you make source code edits. In such case, you need to merge your modifications with updates coming from remote repository.

Try doing what the message says. First commit changes to your copy of repository (your working copy is also a fully-featured repository) with git commit, and only then git pull to update. 

That's just what Gepard said. For some more help about committing you can check this post:

http://herc.ws/board/topic/152-obtaining-hercules/?p=1241

Thanks, i din't know i wasn't suppose to change the default configurations.  However what do i place inside the folder? Do i make a copy of the current file then place inside the temporary folder for it to read the configurations?

Sorry if i'm blur on this part, I've never used the import folder before in rAthena nor any other places.

First do

Then

Git pull

git pullM	   .gitignoreM	   conf/battle/client.confM	   conf/battle/party.confM	   conf/battle/status.confM	   conf/inter-server.confM	   conf/plugins.confM	   db/const.txtM	   db/item_db2.txtM	   db/item_delay.txtM	   db/job_db2.txtM	   db/pre-re/item_db.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_cast_db.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_db.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_require_db.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_tree.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_unit_db.txtM	   db/re/item_combo_db.txtM	   db/re/item_db.txtM	   db/re/refine_db.txtM	   db/re/skill_cast_db.txtM	   db/re/skill_db.txtM	   db/re/skill_require_db.txtM	   db/re/skill_tree.txtM	   db/re/skill_unit_db.txtA	   db/sc_config.txtM	   doc/script_commands.txtM	   npc/cities/rachel.txtU	   npc/custom/healer.txtM	   npc/events/halloween_2009.txtM	   npc/events/nguild/nguild_warper.txtM	   npc/instances/NydhoggsNest.txtM	   npc/mobs/citycleaners.txtM	   npc/quests/quests_13_1.txtM	   npc/quests/skills/assassin_skills.txtM	   npc/re/cities/dewata.txtM	   npc/re/jobs/3-1/rune_knight.txtM	   npc/re/quests/quests_brasilis.txtM	   sql-files/item_db.sqlM	   sql-files/item_db2.sqlM	   sql-files/item_db2_re.sqlM	   sql-files/item_db_re.sqlM	   src/char/char.cM	   src/char/char.hM	   src/char/int_auction.cM	   src/char/int_guild.cM	   src/char/int_homun.cM	   src/char/int_mail.cM	   src/char/int_quest.cM	   src/char/inter.cM	   src/char/inter.hM	   src/common/HPM.cM	   src/common/console.cM	   src/common/core.cM	   src/common/db.cM	   src/common/ers.cM	   src/common/ers.hM	   src/common/malloc.cM	   src/common/malloc.hM	   src/common/mmo.hM	   src/common/mutex.cM	   src/common/random.cM	   src/common/socket.cM	   src/common/sql.cM	   src/common/sql.hM	   src/common/timer.cM	   src/common/timer.hM	   src/config/const.hM	   src/login/account_sql.cM	   src/login/ipban_sql.cM	   src/login/login.cM	   src/map/atcommand.cM	   src/map/battle.cM	   src/map/battle.hM	   src/map/battleground.cM	   src/map/buyingstore.cM	   src/map/chat.cM	   src/map/chrif.cM	   src/map/clif.cM	   src/map/clif.hM	   src/map/duel.cM	   src/map/elemental.cM	   src/map/guild.cM	   src/map/homunculus.cM	   src/map/instance.cM	   src/map/intif.cM	   src/map/irc-bot.cM	   src/map/itemdb.cM	   src/map/itemdb.hM	   src/map/log.cM	   src/map/mail.cM	   src/map/map.cM	   src/map/map.hM	   src/map/mapreg_sql.cM	   src/map/mercenary.cM	   src/map/mob.cM	   src/map/npc.cM	   src/map/npc_chat.cM	   src/map/packets.hM	   src/map/party.cM	   src/map/party.hM	   src/map/path.cM	   src/map/pc.cM	   src/map/pc.hM	   src/map/pc_groups.cM	   src/map/pc_groups.hM	   src/map/pet.cM	   src/map/quest.cM	   src/map/script.cM	   src/map/script.hM	   src/map/searchstore.cM	   src/map/skill.cM	   src/map/skill.hM	   src/map/status.cM	   src/map/status.hM	   src/map/storage.cM	   src/map/trade.cM	   src/map/unit.cM	   src/map/vending.cM	   src/plugins/Makefile.inA	   src/plugins/db2sql.cPull is not possible because you have unmerged files.Please, fix them up in the work tree, and then use 'git add/rm <file>'as appropriate to mark resolution, or use 'git commit -a'.

Using your solution gave me this error though. What's wrong currently?

Thanks, i din't know i wasn't suppose to change the default configurations.  However what do i place inside the folder? Do i make a copy of the current file then place inside the temporary folder for it to read the configurations?

Sorry if i'm blur on this part, I've never used the import folder before in rAthena nor any other places.

You're using linux, so I suppose you installed emulator usual way, ie ./configure && make. In such case there should be conf/import folder already. It is created from conf/import-tmpl by make. If it didn't happen, just copy conf/import-tmpl to conf/import. Then you should just move all custom configuration settings to appropriate files in conf/import. For example, if you changed server name in conf/char-server.conf, copy this setting to conf/import/char_conf.txt and revert .conf file to its original state to avoid conflicts when updating.

As for the second part, run git status and check which files are unmerged.

Edited by Gepard

You're using linux, so I suppose you installed emulator usual way, ie ./configure && make. In such case there should be conf/import folder already. It is created from conf/import-tmpl by make. If it didn't happen, just copy conf/import-tmpl to conf/import. Then you should just move all custom configuration settings to appropriate files in conf/import. For example, if you changed server name in conf/char-server.conf, copy this setting to conf/import/char_conf.txt and revert .conf file to its original state to avoid conflicts when updating.

As for the second part, run git status and check which files are unmerged.

Hi there,

Thanks for the assist!

However do i copy the entire file properties i have inside?

or example let's say

login server is 192.168.1.1

therefore, i copy that line only or should i copy the entire thing from top to bottom.

Thanks! ( just wanna make sure it's done right before anything goes wrong )

Just found the wiki for this, will check it out.

here's my second part

git status# On branch master# Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 2 commits.## Untracked files:#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)##	   conf/.grf-files.txt.swp#	   npc/custom/Guildhouse/#	   npc/custom/Stylist/#	   npc/custom/UberHeal.txt#	   npc/custom/add/#	   npc/custom/healer2.txt#	   npc/custom/shops.txtnothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)
Edited by ToiletMaster

>That's just what Gepard said. For some more help about committing you can check this post:

http://herc.ws/board/topic/152-obtaining-hercules/?p=1241

First do

Then

Git pull

git pullM	   .gitignoreM	   conf/battle/client.confM	   conf/battle/party.confM	   conf/battle/status.confM	   conf/inter-server.confM	   conf/plugins.confM	   db/const.txtM	   db/item_db2.txtM	   db/item_delay.txtM	   db/job_db2.txtM	   db/pre-re/item_db.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_cast_db.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_db.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_require_db.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_tree.txtM	   db/pre-re/skill_unit_db.txtM	   db/re/item_combo_db.txtM	   db/re/item_db.txtM	   db/re/refine_db.txtM	   db/re/skill_cast_db.txtM	   db/re/skill_db.txtM	   db/re/skill_require_db.txtM	   db/re/skill_tree.txtM	   db/re/skill_unit_db.txtA	   db/sc_config.txtM	   doc/script_commands.txtM	   npc/cities/rachel.txtU	   npc/custom/healer.txtM	   npc/events/halloween_2009.txtM	   npc/events/nguild/nguild_warper.txtM	   npc/instances/NydhoggsNest.txtM	   npc/mobs/citycleaners.txtM	   npc/quests/quests_13_1.txtM	   npc/quests/skills/assassin_skills.txtM	   npc/re/cities/dewata.txtM	   npc/re/jobs/3-1/rune_knight.txtM	   npc/re/quests/quests_brasilis.txtM	   sql-files/item_db.sqlM	   sql-files/item_db2.sqlM	   sql-files/item_db2_re.sqlM	   sql-files/item_db_re.sqlM	   src/char/char.cM	   src/char/char.hM	   src/char/int_auction.cM	   src/char/int_guild.cM	   src/char/int_homun.cM	   src/char/int_mail.cM	   src/char/int_quest.cM	   src/char/inter.cM	   src/char/inter.hM	   src/common/HPM.cM	   src/common/console.cM	   src/common/core.cM	   src/common/db.cM	   src/common/ers.cM	   src/common/ers.hM	   src/common/malloc.cM	   src/common/malloc.hM	   src/common/mmo.hM	   src/common/mutex.cM	   src/common/random.cM	   src/common/socket.cM	   src/common/sql.cM	   src/common/sql.hM	   src/common/timer.cM	   src/common/timer.hM	   src/config/const.hM	   src/login/account_sql.cM	   src/login/ipban_sql.cM	   src/login/login.cM	   src/map/atcommand.cM	   src/map/battle.cM	   src/map/battle.hM	   src/map/battleground.cM	   src/map/buyingstore.cM	   src/map/chat.cM	   src/map/chrif.cM	   src/map/clif.cM	   src/map/clif.hM	   src/map/duel.cM	   src/map/elemental.cM	   src/map/guild.cM	   src/map/homunculus.cM	   src/map/instance.cM	   src/map/intif.cM	   src/map/irc-bot.cM	   src/map/itemdb.cM	   src/map/itemdb.hM	   src/map/log.cM	   src/map/mail.cM	   src/map/map.cM	   src/map/map.hM	   src/map/mapreg_sql.cM	   src/map/mercenary.cM	   src/map/mob.cM	   src/map/npc.cM	   src/map/npc_chat.cM	   src/map/packets.hM	   src/map/party.cM	   src/map/party.hM	   src/map/path.cM	   src/map/pc.cM	   src/map/pc.hM	   src/map/pc_groups.cM	   src/map/pc_groups.hM	   src/map/pet.cM	   src/map/quest.cM	   src/map/script.cM	   src/map/script.hM	   src/map/searchstore.cM	   src/map/skill.cM	   src/map/skill.hM	   src/map/status.cM	   src/map/status.hM	   src/map/storage.cM	   src/map/trade.cM	   src/map/unit.cM	   src/map/vending.cM	   src/plugins/Makefile.inA	   src/plugins/db2sql.cPull is not possible because you have unmerged files.Please, fix them up in the work tree, and then use 'git add/rm <file>'as appropriate to mark resolution, or use 'git commit -a'.

Using your solution gave me this error though. What's wrong currently?

Pull is not possible because you have unmerged files.Please, fix them up in the work tree, and then use 'git add/rm <file>'as appropriate to mark resolution, or use 'git commit -a'. 

As the Error says the solution.

If you do any changes to the original files, you have to do

to save the changes, as git doesn't check the changes(as of svn)

then you can update your hercules via

git pull