Mumbles

Read Server-side Data vs Client-side

Not sure if this is even a thing, but wouldn't it make more sense to have/make the client read data directly at the source? By this, I do NOT simply mean having the client read from a server-side grf/data folder. For example, instead of the client reading idnum2itemdisplaynametable.txt locally to determine an item name, why not have it read item name directly off the server's item_db?

In addition to this, would it be a realistic goal to eventually have a stand-alone client that reads the data folder/grf archive in English (Unicode)? These are just my thoughts; sorry if they seem a little scrambled.

More like rewriting it. Well... theoretically you could make a hook for fopen() (and hope that's what Gravity used) and replace it with your own function which reads data from the server, but it is not going to be easy either.

Not sure if this is even a thing, but wouldn't it make more sense to have/make the client read data directly at the source? By this, I do NOT simply mean having the client read from a server-side grf/data folder. For example, instead of the client reading idnum2itemdisplaynametable.txt locally to determine an item name, why not have it read item name directly off the server's item_db?

Also As I guess, It will cost much bandwidth + more ram usage.

think,

1)When someone moves cursor to item , it sends packet to server, server gets item_id and sends item name for each cursor point.(If server have 20+ players, think, 1 player moves cursor to item 100's of times.)

2)When someone right click on item, it send packet to server to get info, server gets item_id and sends item description for each click.(Player checks description soo many times. Using much bandwidth)

In addition to this, would it be a realistic goal to eventually have a stand-alone client that reads the data folder/grf archive in English (Unicode)? These are just my thoughts; sorry if they seem a little scrambled.

It can be done, but because kRO have unicoded name, we should have that to get update from kRO without repacking of grf to change name in english and etc........