Sign in to follow this  
stevler

Guide to Scripting?

Question

I have learned how to make basic scripts, I am wondering how I could further  my knowledge, I'm interested in making my own, with a little help from you guys of course. Any tips would be nice too!

4 answers to this question

It is 2013, many scripts that you want or similar to what you want is most likely already made. You just need to edit them, change a few things to suit what you want it to do. That is were script documentation comes in handy

So you're saying I should scrap this piece of crap, and just like edit toastys, or someones elses warper, and stuff? :P I

prontera,154,191,5	script	Warper	660,{	mes "[Genie Weenie]";	mes "Yo, what's up my main man " + strcharinfo(0) + ",";	mes "I can warp you wherever your heart desires!";	menu "Last Warp ^777777["+lastwarp$+"]^000000",-,"Cities",cities,"Dungeons",dung,"Cancel",cancel;	if (lastwarp$ == "") dispbottom "You have not warped anywhere yet.";		else warp lastwarp$,lastwarpx,lastwarpy;	close;		cities:	next;	menu"Alberta",w_alb,"Aldebaren",w_ald,"Amatsu",w_ama,"Ayothaya",w_ayo;	w_alb:	next;warp "alberta", 116, 57;close;	w_ald:	next;warp "aldebaren", 140, 119;close;	 w_ama:	next;warp "amatsu", 197, 109;close;	 w_ayo:	next;warp "ayothaya",202, 186;close;	   close;		dung:	next;	mes "[Genie Weenie]";	mes " Goodbye!";	close;		cancel:		close;}

if you just want to install scripts into your server and make them bugless, just learn basic scripting is enough

... I am wondering how I could further my knowledge, I'm interested in making my own...

if you want to turn into expert scripter, you have to write everything from scratch

though, the fastest way to learn, is to get yourself a teacher

this might help

http://www.eathena.ws/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=169148&view=findpost&p=962485

So you're saying I should scrap this piece of crap

yes

always redo and redo again

my favorite warper script has been scrap at least 7 times then I released it

1 year later toasty release another one to beats mine again

each time you scrap your script, it also means you have learn something new

and you should congratulate yourself that you have improved :P

just like edit toastys, or someones elses warper, and stuff? :P

toastofdoom actually copy my idea from favorite warper script

and kingkronos also has duplicate out toastywarper

someday you might able to duplicate both of their scripts ... who knows ?

Edited by AnnieRuru