Helena

One player can't connect, the rest can?

Question

Good day, Hercules!

Could someone help me with this?

I have two servers, one test server and another server that's accessible for players. Both servers are up and running. Now, I decided to give my GMs access to the test server, (that being said, she's pretty knowledgeable compared to players that have common technical issues) but the strange thing is that she is not able to connect; she keeps getting a "Failed to connect" message.

Let me clarify the following:

- All my GMs were given the same files, they (including her) followed my installation instructions by extracting the content into a empty/clean folder. All of them are able to connect, except for her.

- The GM in question has already disabled her firewall and anti-virus.

- The GM is question is able to connect to my other server just fine, so (in case it would be blamed to be the cause) her ports to play RO are opened (I am not using custom ports).

- We are even using the same hosting provider (AsuraHosting), as stated above, she can connect fine to the one server, but can't to the other.

- The login and char servers are silent. With that I am referring to the fact that there is no "request connection of account blah blah" message which usually occurs when someone tries to connect.

I have spend hours browsing the net, but the only problem I have come close with that is similar to mine is this:

https://forum.talonro.com/index.php?topic=35085.0

Does someone of the Hercules community have any idea what the cause could be? I have written a Support Ticket to AsuraHosting nearly two days ago, but alas no reply and it's pretty urgent.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Helena

15 answers to this question

No it's an entirely different plan because it's only for testing purpose.

RO standard 512 from AsuraHosting: https://asurahosting.com/index.php?/cart/ro-standard/

On a similar note, I am using the (RO 1024) plan for the other host that she can connect to... /hmm

I recommend you to check her RO folder, she might have some other servers, or check clientinfo.xml that she is having, it might have something else..

No it's an entirely different plan because it's only for testing purpose.

RO standard 512 from AsuraHosting: https://asurahosting.com/index.php?/cart/ro-standard/

On a similar note, I am using the (RO 1024) plan for the other host that she can connect to... /hmm

I recommend you to check her RO folder, she might have some other servers, or check clientinfo.xml that she is having, it might have something else..

Thanks for the reply but like said in my first post, she followed my instructions, the same instructions as the other GMs did that can connect.

I even teamviewed with her to double check. Everything is there.... a proper setup data.ini, the required GRFs and her client info is displaying correct info (her client also looks fine, in normal english displaying my servers name, not in korean or anything).

But still, she gets a failed to connect.

Edited by Helena

The login and char servers are silent. With that I am referring to the fact that there is no "request connection of account blah blah" message which usually occurs when someone tries to connect.

as the server says nothing has reach them..so client file is the issue..just make sure the clientinfo that she is using is the right one..

to make sure if she really can connect try 'telnet ip.xx.xx.xx port' of any of the server if the server receive unknown connect then client file is the problem and solution

:meow:

The login and char servers are silent. With that I am referring to the fact that there is no "request connection of account blah blah" message which usually occurs when someone tries to connect.

try 'telnet ip.xx.xx.xx port' of any of the server if the server receive unknown connect then client file is the problem and solution

I don't really understand this part. the 'telnet ip.xx.xx.xx port', is it a command I need to run? Also, the servers IP or her IP?

Edited by Helena

try 'telnet ip.xx.xx.xx port' of any of the server if the server receive unknown connect then client file is the problem and solution

I don't really understand this part. the 'telnet ip.xx.xx.xx port', is it a command I need to run? Also, the servers IP or her IP?

run it in command prompt or on "run" of windows.

Put Server IP and port of any one server(char/login/map)

example: "telnet 123.50.25.50 6121"

This is the result:

[root@xxxx Desktop]# telnet 142 xx.xx.xx 6900
Usage: telnet [-8] [-E] [-L] [-S tos] [-a] [-c] [-d] [-e char] [-l user]
[-n tracefile] [-b hostalias ] [-r] 
 [host-name [port]]
[root@xxxx Desktop]# telnet 142 xx.xx.xx 6121
 [host-name [port]]
[root@xxxx Desktop]# telnet 142 xx.xx.xx 5121
 [host-name [port]]

I helped her again in teamviewer, installed everything, and still she can't connect. =/ I'm just 100% sure that it's not a client-side misconfiguration.

This is the result:

[host-name [port]]
 [host-name [port]]
 [host-name [port]]

I helped her again in teamviewer, installed everything, and still she can't connect. =/ I'm just 100% sure that it's not a client-side misconfiguration.

please do those commands from her PC at command prompt, and why you have put space after 142, Format is "telnet IP Port"

This is the result:

[host-name [port]]
 [host-name [port]]
 [host-name [port]]

please do those commands from her PC at command prompt, and why you have put space after 142, Format is "telnet IP Port"

It just takes her to a empty black screen, but then again so it does for me.

Edited by Helena

Sorry for double post, but we have changed client to see if that worked (also properly set the packetver to the correct date and recompiled), but she still can't connect while we can, even with the new client.

As mentioned in my above post, telnet doesn't give her command promt nor the server console/promt a message.

Edited by Helena

Sorry for double post, but we have changed client to see if that worked (also properly set the packetver to the correct date and recompiled), but she still can't connect while we can, even with the new client.

As mentioned in my above post, telnet doesn't give her command promt nor the server console/promt a message.

Blank screen means, her pc is able to connect to that IP and port properly, so its absolutely clientside error, which you might have overlooked.

Blank screen means, her pc is able to connect to that IP and port properly, so its absolutely clientside error, which you might have overlooked.

Hi dastgir,

Sorry for the late reply, I went on vacation.

It's not a client side problem... I can connect, my co admin can connect and one of our other GMs can connect. It's just her.

Like I said; I teamviewed with her to double check. Everything is there.... a proper setup data.ini, the required GRFs and her client info is displaying correct info (her client also looks fine, in normal english displaying my servers name, not in korean or anything).

We are not the only one experiencing this, thats why I posted this thread: https://forum.talonro.com/index.php?topic=35085.0 - that is what we are experiencing.

Even my host is unable to help. He left me with a "well, according to that thread there is no solution so I can't do anything!" :[

Do you want me to send you the files that she is/we are using? I'm 100% sure that 9/10 of you can connect (unless you are that 1/10 that is an exception like her).

I saw that you said they already disabled it, but the only thing if everyone else can connect, and this one person cannot...and all the files you have are the same as this other person...then it looks like a firewall issue on their part. Have them allow the ro client into their firewall/antivirus.

One thing I would be curious to see if you had time for a test, swap connections/ports and see if they can connect to the "test" server, and see if they can get into it.

Tried, not working. :[

I came across someone on the rAthena forums that's also facing this strange problem... I think it's a issue on the hosts end since both emulators seem to be having this.