Zirius

Choosing decent Server for hosting Hercules

Question

Hello! I hosted my Hercules server online, and I must say comparing from local development to online, it is very disappointing for my server.

I do not know why, but I believe I am hosting at more decent specs than what I can see at low end offers in our paid services section:

I have

1GB RAM CentOS running only Kloxo Panel

Portspeed is 1GB

As you can see, my memory use is not even maxed:

post-6720-0-77191800-1406381262_thumb.png

The server's download speed is even epic:

[root@ xxxx]# wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test && rm -rf 100mb.test--2014-07-26 17:25:46--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.testResolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OKLength: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]Saving to: `/dev/null'100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 45.6M/s   in 2.2s2014-07-26 17:25:49 (45.6 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

(45.6 MB/s) @ 100mb test download

Comparing even to a commercialized paid service here at our forum (no harm intended in anyway), my server was not even that far:

post-6720-0-42639700-1406381408_thumb.png

So I do not really know why my server lags, are there special configuration needed to host Hercules on Linux environment?

Hope somebody can help me, because I do not know if I purchase hosting services offered here and would still have the same result.

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

I just wanna say to everybody, choose a 2 digit ping return. I am very happy with my new host, my ping ranges from 70~100ms, even only at 512MB, it works very smooth. /sit spam LOL.

Depends what type of lag you are experiencing. If it's a latency issue where you're consistently "skipping" across the screen, it may be due to your own connection to your server (which would be silly, consider it's locally-hosted?). If you're experiencing a lot of server-side lag, review any custom scripts you've got loaded; some of them may be extremely memory-intensive (i.e. Toasty's WoE Controller, loadevent/OnPCLoadMapevent mapflags/labels, etc.).

Depends what type of lag you are experiencing. If it's a latency issue where you're consistently "skipping" across the screen, it may be due to your own connection to your server (which would be silly, consider it's locally-hosted?). If you're experiencing a lot of server-side lag, review any custom scripts you've got loaded; some of them may be extremely memory-intensive (i.e. Toasty's WoE Controller, loadevent/OnPCLoadMapevent mapflags/labels, etc.).

The lag happens everytime you talk to an NPC it would take a sec to have the response, like the 1-click heal+buff NPC, it would take 1 sec before the buffs and heal was given.

Funny because I only have 400 maps in my server, and no custom script yet.

Though what is seems like, I need a host whose ping back to me must be < 230ms, I think?

Btw, what is the ping back you have from your host?

The lag happens everytime you talk to an NPC it would take a sec to have the response, like the 1-click heal+buff NPC, it would take 1 sec before the buffs and heal was given.

Though what is seems like, I need a host whose ping back to me must be < 230ms, I think?

My development server is hosted on my local machine:

MQZb2Pl.png

The live server is hosted in Los Angeles, roughly 380 miles away from me:

Vbo5u4y.png

If your ping to your current host is 200ms+, you're going to have a slight delay when interacting with NPCs and script-based interfaces. If you'd like to test your latency to a server hosted in Los Angeles, you can ping one of my development servers:

play.rhythm.ro

This is what I am talking about:

My Ping to my own server is Average = 241ms

My Ping to your test server is Average = 218ms

its only 23ms difference, but yet the lag I experience to my server is way toooo worse when I'm playing to my server.

Can you give me a download link to your client? I'll try your server environment.

Thanks!

Edited by Zirius

I think you are in ASIA which is miles away from Los Angeles. It would give you 170 up to 250ms. Worst is 300-350ms. If you want a 2 digit ms (milliseconds) ping, then go get an ASIA-based server like Singapore-based VPS. That will solve your problem.

here's a test ip for singapore-based vps.

Edited by Jezu

its only 23ms difference, but yet the lag I experience to my server is way toooo worse when I'm playing to others' server. 

Lagg doesn't only depend on latency(ofcourse, its important, you should choose one with ~200ms).

But lag also depends on player's connection(if the latency is drastically increasing/decreasing, it means something wrong on connection of players, or of the servers).

Player should have stable connection, fluctuating connection can increase latency.

and most players, keep downloads running and play, then complain about lag(how can they experience no-lag, if all connection speed is going to download, and game is not able to send data to the server)

It also depends upon player's PC specs, what if a player is playing from low-end pc(rare occasion)

I think you are in ASIA which is miles away from Los Angeles. It would give you 170 up to 250ms. Worst is 300-350ms. If you want a 2 digit ms (milliseconds) ping, then go get an ASIA-based server like Singapore-based VPS. That will solve your problem.

here's a test ip for singapore-based vps.

Yeah, I'll try Singapore. Thanks! The problem is finding a DDOS proof singapore server. They cost toooo much even if there's something like that.

its only 23ms difference, but yet the lag I experience to my server is way toooo worse when I'm playing to others' server. 

Lagg doesn't only depend on latency(ofcourse, its important, you should choose one with ~200ms).

But lag also depends on player's connection(if the latency is drastically increasing/decreasing, it means something wrong on connection of players, or of the servers).

Player should have stable connection, fluctuating connection can increase latency.

and most players, keep downloads running and play, then complain about lag(how can they experience no-lag, if all connection speed is going to download, and game is not able to send data to the server)

It also depends upon player's PC specs, what if a player is playing from low-end pc(rare occasion)

Yeah, but the lag I experience is from my own server. I am playing others' private server and my own internet connection works fine, but the lag I experience at my own server is ridiculous. I'll see if changing host can help me. Thanks!

Edited by Zirius

Some scripts too can cause lagg,

Example a script which goes on a very big loop, with the player attached.

Sounds like location based latency. The machine itself shouldn't be under so much stress that it causes such latency. As someone else stated, try a service located in Asia or Europe for better ping. :)