Sign in to follow this  
Zirius

How to create shortcut to Thor patcher that will always make it run as Admin?

Question

Hello! I made an installer via WinRAR using SFX option, it works great specially because I can install a shortcut to thor patcher to their desktop.

The problem is some of my users seems like having problem with their patcher not overwriting files in their directory when I create a patch that overwrites non-grf files.

The solution is to ask them to manually run the Thor patcher as Admin.

The best thing I think I can do is to make the shortcut at their desktop to always run as Admin.

How to do this? Hope somebody can help.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Hmm. Did I understand this clearly?
I can only do this if I compiled the "thor patcher" via Visual Studio?

But how can this be possible if I do not have the source code?

Thanks!

Not sure which version of Thor Patcher you're using, but the latest one uses the following manifest file shown below (as you'll see it already requires elevated privileges to run).

I know one version of Thor Patcher had issues overwriting files, but that's been fixed already. So... I doubt your players' issues have anything to do with admin privileges.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">  <assemblyIdentity    type="win32"    name="CodeGear RAD Studio"    version="11.0.2627.5503"     processorArchitecture="*"/>  <dependency>    <dependentAssembly>      <assemblyIdentity        type="win32"        name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"        version="6.0.0.0"        publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"        language="*"        processorArchitecture="*"/>    </dependentAssembly>  </dependency>  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">    <security>      <requestedPrivileges>        <requestedExecutionLevel          level="requireAdministrator"          uiAccess="false"/>        </requestedPrivileges>    </security>  </trustInfo></assembly>

Oh.. well I guess it is because I am using an OLD thor, up to now I am in doubt if I would be in trouble if I use the new thor patcher because I am using old config.
Thanks, I'll try to create a patcher and will update this thread.

Not sure which version of Thor Patcher you're using, but the latest one uses the following manifest file shown below (as you'll see it already requires elevated privileges to run).

I know one version of Thor Patcher had issues overwriting files, but that's been fixed already. So... I doubt your players' issues have anything to do with admin privileges.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">  <assemblyIdentity    type="win32"    name="CodeGear RAD Studio"    version="11.0.2627.5503"     processorArchitecture="*"/>  <dependency>    <dependentAssembly>      <assemblyIdentity        type="win32"        name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"        version="6.0.0.0"        publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"        language="*"        processorArchitecture="*"/>    </dependentAssembly>  </dependency>  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">    <security>      <requestedPrivileges>        <requestedExecutionLevel          level="requireAdministrator"          uiAccess="false"/>        </requestedPrivileges>    </security>  </trustInfo></assembly>

Hi @Tokeiburu where you get this manifest as far i know it not included in the pack

Hi @Tokeiburu where you get this manifest as far i know it not included in the pack

Use a hex editor to find the manifest, it usually starts with "?xml". Also, I made a mistake, the manifest I extracted was for 2.6.2.68. The latest version is 2.6.4.8 and the manifest does not require elevated privileges. My guess is this was changed because RO can be ran without admin privileges and this prevented users without admin rights to play the game. Is your installer installing outside of the Program Files' directory? This is necessary to avoid UAC/security issues. Choose a path such as "C:GamesYourRO".

2.6.4.8 : 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"> <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" name="Aeomin.ThorPatcher" type="win32"/>	<compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">		<application>		 <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/>		 <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/>		 <supportedOS Id="{4a2f28e3-53b9-4441-ba9c-d69d4a4a6e38}"/>		 <supportedOS Id="{1f676c76-80e1-4239-95bb-83d0f6d0da78}"/>		</application>	</compatibility> <description>Custom Patcher for Ragnarok Online</description> <dependency>  <dependentAssembly>   <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"/>  </dependentAssembly> </dependency> <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">  <security>   <requestedPrivileges>        <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>   </requestedPrivileges>  </security> </trustInfo></assembly>
Edited by Tokeiburu

it seem official have used administration right to start ragexe, in the kro folder u see  the Ragexe.exe.manifest

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"><dependency><dependentAssembly><assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/></dependentAssembly></dependency><dependency><dependentAssembly><assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.MFC" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/></dependentAssembly></dependency><assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0"     processorArchitecture="X86"    name="Ragexe"    type="win32" />   <description>Ragnarok Program</description>  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">    <security>      <requestedPrivileges>          <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator"  />      </requestedPrivileges>    </security>  </trustInfo></assembly>