Helena

eAthena to Hercules.

Question

Hi.

I'm currently working for a (heavily modified) eathena server but we would like to take the step of moving to Hercules because Hercules has so many nice features. I've found this: http://herc.ws/board/topic/3747-converting-from-eathena-to-hercules/ but is there any sort of guide for it?

Another concern i have are our source mods, will they all be lost? And the scripts we have, would they still work?

The server carries 150+ players so we can't really have anything go wrong.

Thanks. I hope someone can assist. :)

*edit* I think this is the wrong section... sorry. :(

Edited by Helena

8 answers to this question

there were a lot of changes made from eA -> rA -> hercules.

it's safe to say your edits will break quite a bit. a lot of code was removed/changed and your calls to existing functions will at the very least have to conform with the HPM interfaces.

Edited by SketchyPhoenix

Copy your existing *AthenaSVN and start to migrate to hercules, AFAIK, since Hercules is updated version of *Athena although some codes has been removed or changed, you can try to convert it features by features, meaning if you have 10 features on your server, you have to add it one by one, or better to use the HPM(Hercules Plugins Manager) to insert modified features. maybe it will takes time better to hire someone knowledgeable on Source Development. Goodluck :) 

Or maybe try to create another server that runs on Hercules so your player can try its features. :meow:

I'd say get a clean copy of your eA, diff all you additions, and then reimplement them revising the code. Also, Hercules moved ahead quite a bit, so you'd need to check out new features that Hercules has to see if you like/don't like them, and adjust those too. Also, inspect the config files to see every possible option, and set it right.

By personal experience almost EVERY script will need an update. Especially now, with set/goto deprecated, so if you were using those you'll be better off revising the scripts to get rid of them. (I used regex to change all set to direct assignment for lazy mode). Direct assignment is awesome, by the way :D And then again since Hercules is case-sensitive to variables/functions, you may get some errors from that. Not to mention that there are quite a few new constants in town, so if one of your variables matches them it could be a bit of a problem.

Also, I'd say create a test server first to check out most features/scripts to see if they still working as intended. Would be nice to convert a piece of actual server info for testing as well, to see if there are any conflicts that can't be seen with just clean start (like, as I said, already used variables that match constants).

i took 3 months to made sure my Hercules and mods work well from eathena. Off coz lot of functions, reffer, tokens changes. You have to find it slowly. If you're a good programmer then it will be easy too. Or just hire coder by visiting hercules paid services.

Edited by daim

i took 3 months to made sure my Hercules and mods work well from eathena. Off coz lot of functions, reffer, tokens changes. You have to find it slowly. If you're a good programmer then it will be easy too. Or just hire coder by visiting hercules paid services.

Not really that much, if you know what mods you did,

If you know what mods you did and have been up with svn updating(and no manual), one can get a diff of what's done, and accordingly apply to Hercules(with some edits ofcourse). probably some days work(if its like above i mentioned), else would take a month :P

Not really that much, if you know what mods you did,

If you know what mods you did and have been up with svn updating(and no manual), one can get a diff of what's done, and accordingly apply to Hercules(with some edits ofcourse). probably some days work(if its like above i mentioned), else would take a month :P

Indeed Dastgir. That what happen to me, i have no diff from what mod i done. lol

just checkout a separated eA, copy your files into it and generate a new diff file with your mods

But if he knows svn version :P(or have .svn folder intact in emu folder)

If svn version of eA is known, it would be quick to transfer as I said earlier..