Sign in to follow this  
Fou-lu

How much does it cost to maintain a server in 2023?

Question

Hello friends,

It's been a while since I've worked with emulators, and I would like to know from you what the average cost would be to maintain a server for around 100 players. Also, how much would the cost increase to accommodate more players?

Some questions I have are:

1- Are shields against hacks still being used? What is currently considered the best option?

2- What are the infrastructure requirements, and what prices are suppliers offering? (If it goes against the Forum's rules to advertise, you don't need to mention the host)

1 answer to this question

1- Gepard shield, by Functor.
2- Take this with a pinch of salt, but I'd say that as long as you have 3 cores available (1 for login/char, 1 for sql and 1 for map) it's enough for 100 people, as long as the CPU is powerful enough in single thread. So probably something cheap like 30 dollars/euro should suffice.

For a server with 100 players where most players are vending or sitting in town, you'd be spending approximately $20-40 per month. Most of these budget hosting have low port speed which makes it vulnerable to network stress.

Later on, if your server grows. You'd need at least 500 mbps port speed (ideal is 1 gbps dedicated port speed).

As for your other question, Gepard is the only option. But, most cheat tools are now going through the memory. So, even if you have Gepard Shield in your server, it won't guarantee effectiveness.