Sign in to follow this  
Jezu

[Suggestion] Implementation of Source-based per RO Episode.

Hello folks!

I just want to suggest (if possible) to make a source-based-like per episode on Ragnarok Online story.

For example, If I want to be Juno Episode only, then, it will disable all renewal items/job classes and item_db's and NPC.

//Choose your Ragnarok Episode from 1 - 15.//1 - The beginning//2 - War of Emperium//3 - and so on....base on kRO.#define RO_EPISODE 5

But this will not affect the RE and PRE-RE, you should do this manually in renewal.h. 

Is this possible or too much work for this?

Edited by Jezu

nice idea but the implementation of the other official features will bring to queue if our devs agreed with this suggestion.

I think its a lot of work.

This kind of things should be better if the topic begins with the author offering his help to others, to make this kind of things. Not just expecting other people to do such a very hard work.

Edited by Olrox

it is possible however one thing that is hard to fulfill IMO is to identify which is which..I mean what is in EP12 and so on(tedious data gathering is required)...

another is... who is willing to work on this...XD

:meow:

this will need seperate item/mob databases for each episode.

seperate script folders, etc

even the source will need to be flooded with IFDEF for all the changed mechanics over the years

yes it is a good idea, but not a practical one

even the source will need to be flooded with IFDEF for all the changed mechanics over the years

Well, better to have 1mech, and about item db, with its new format, I think we can make optional episode variable, so if that variable is equal or less than defined, that item will be loaded.

i aggree to you in 50%

i dont think that we have to seperate the item or mob db, but the fact with the tons of IFDEF is correct (holy this would become painful)

the idea is pretty awesome, i would sign it instantly.

but as Yoomy said, in reality it could become hard.

the only think i see is the complete differ of the episodes at his root.

srcEp1, srcEp2, srcEp3, and whenenver a user defines his version in the mmo.h or whereever, the correct srcFolder will be used to create the map,inter and char server.

this is the only way i would see now where the code will be keeped clean, and the function could be implementented.

but the ammount of work would need tons of devs.

this has been proposed a number of times throughout time and there are many issues involved that make it hardly practical, besides those already presented in this thread, for example many regional servers have misused (or split) the first few episodes which causes a number of users recollect how things were in episode x y or z differently from those on other regional servers, which'd flood us with "this episode didn't have y", "this episode had x" reports which'd be very troublesome and take a great amount of research from us in order to assert the validity.